Personal Protection Outside the Home Course - Click here to register.
Required: At least 11
hours, more like 15 hours if you shoot Lesson VII (“Advanced Shooting
should attend? This
is not a course for inexperienced shooters. Students who cannot upon
registration, keep at least 90% of shots on a sheet of typing paper at 21 feet
will probably not do well in this course. This is a very basic concealed
carry course. It is appropriate for
those who are or are thinking about legally carrying in public places but are
not safe and competent when presenting a pistol from concealment and delivering
accurate shots at distances from 3 to 25 yards.
Goal: To develop in students the knowledge,
skills, and attitude essential for avoiding dangerous confrontations and for
the safe, effective and responsible use of a concealed handgun for self-defense
outside the home.
Deposit: $50 Course
Issued: Yes if you
complete the course.
Prerequisites: 1. Complete the NRA Personal Protection in the Home Course. If you
cannot handle a pistol safely and keep your shots on a sheet of typing paper at
21 feet you are not ready for this course. 2. Attend the
SMFTS Firearms and the Law class. No
certificates issued until you take this class. 3. If you have yet
attended the SMFTS Firearms and the Law class you must provide a copy of one of
the following documents either by e-Mail attachment of hard copy on the day of
Valid carry license from any state
Military ID card
Law Enforcement ID card
State employee ID card
Armed Security Guard ID card
Receipt for purchase of a firearm from an FFL dealer
within the last 5 years. Student
equipment: Note paper, pencil or pen Eye and ear protection Baseball cap Centerfire pistol for which your strong
side thumb can reach the magazine release Rigid holster (kydex or reinforced
leather) Must retain its shape when
empty. Good pistol belt Magazine pouch at least 3 magazines At least 500 rounds of professionally
manufactured ammunition Water lunch
Objectives: Lesson I: Introduction to Concealed
Carry Safety and The Defensive Mindset
1. The importance of carrying and using a handgun responsibly and ethically for
personal protection outside the home.
2. How the three fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling apply when
carrying or using a concealed handgun outside the home.
3. How the NRA rules for using or storing a gun apply when carrying or using a
concealed handgun outside the home.
4. Special safety considerations that must be observed when carrying or using a
concealed handgun outside the home.
5. The various techniques for storing a handgun safely outside the home.
6. The four levels of awareness and how they apply to concealed carry outside
Lesson II: Introduction to Self Defense and Concealed Carry
1. The importance of mental preparation and developing the proper mindset for
carrying and using a handgun for personal protection and facing a
life-threatening encounter outside the home.
2. Techniques for avoiding life-threatening confrontations outside the home.
3. The psychological and physiological changes that may occur during an
4. The differences between having a firearm for personal protection in the home
and carrying a handgun for personal protection outside the home.
5. Techniques for controlling and responding to a violent encounter outside the
6. The emotional, legal and social aftermath of a defensive shooting outside
Lesson III: Legal Aspects of Concealed Cary and Self-Defense
This topic is covered in the SMFTS Firearms and the Law Class.
Lesson IV: Carry Modes and Handgun Concealment
1. Identify the various handgun concealed carry modes and the benefits and
limitations of each.
2. Explain the basic principles of handgun concealment as they relate to the
carrying of a handgun for self-defense outside the home.
Lesson V: Presenting the Handgun from Concealment
1. Explain and demonstrate the techniques for safely presenting a concealed
handgun and re-holstering. 1.
Present from open carry and shoot 2. Present from concealment and shoot
Lesson VI: Presentation, Position and Movement
Learning Objectives: As a result of your participation in this lesson, you
will be able to present a handgun from concealment and shoot targets in the
center of mass:
1. After moving to a high barricade. 2.
Engaging two targets.
3. Using aimed fire technique with the strong hand only.
4. Using point shooting technique with two hands.
5. Using point shooting technique with the strong hand only.
Lesson VII: (Advanced) Special Shooting Techniques Learning Objectives:
As a result of your participation in this lesson, you will be able to present a
concealed handgun, conduct speed reloading, clear stoppages of your handgun and
shoot targets in the center of mass:
1. Using hip shooting techniques with the strong hand only (“speed
2. Moving rearward, stopping and shooting.
3. From standing to kneeling behind a low barricade.
4. From standing to squatting behind a low barricade. Moving to a
low barricade, then kneeling or squatting.
5. From sitting to standing.
6. From standing, turning left 90 degrees to the target.
7. From standing, turning right 90 degrees to the target.
8. From standing, turning left 180 degrees to the target.
9. From standing, turning right 180 degrees to the target.
10. Engaging a target at extended range.
11. Under low light conditions.